By Dave Goldberg, Jeff Blomquist
Solutions to science's such a lot enduring questions from "Can I holiday the light-speed barrier like on Star Trek?" and "Is there lifestyles on different planets?" to "What is empty house made of?"
this is often an necessary advisor to physics that gives readers an summary of the preferred physics themes written in an obtainable, irreverent, and fascinating demeanour whereas nonetheless retaining a tone of wry skepticism. Even the beginner should be in a position to keep on with alongside, because the themes are addressed utilizing undeniable English and (almost) no equations. Veterans of renowned physics also will locate their nagging questions addressed, like even if the universe can extend speedier than gentle, and for that topic, what the universe is increasing into besides.
* offers a one-stop journey of all of the great questions that trap the general public mind's eye together with string idea, quantum mechanics, parallel universes, and the start of time
* Explains severe technology in an unique, conversational, and easy-to-understand method
* comprises dozens of delightfully groan-worthy cartoons that designate every thing from precise relativity to darkish topic
Filled with attention-grabbing details and insights, this booklet will either deepen and rework your knowing of the universe.
Read or Download A User's Guide to the Universe: Surviving the Perils of Black Holes, Time Paradoxes, and Quantum Uncertainty PDF
Best physics books
While I encountered the assumption of chaotic habit in deterministic dynami cal platforms, it gave me either nice pause and nice reduction. The foundation of the good reduction was once paintings I had performed prior on renormalization team houses of homogeneous, isotropic fluid turbulence. on the time I labored on that, it used to be everyday to ascribe the it seems that stochastic nature of turbulent flows to a few type of stochastic riding of the fluid at huge scales.
- Physik II Vorlesung
- Problems of Mathematical Physics (Selected Russian Publications in the Mathematical Sciences)
- Understanding Physics. The Electron, Proton, and Neutron
- Physics of the Aurora and Airglow
- University Physics. Arfken Griffing Kelly Priest
Additional info for A User's Guide to the Universe: Surviving the Perils of Black Holes, Time Paradoxes, and Quantum Uncertainty
This is why we won’t answer your questions with “Because we said so” when explaining how the universe works. Instead, we try our darnedest to appeal to your everyday experience and your common sense, and use those to point you in the right direction. We can’t do that with quantum mechanics. If you follow your common sense, you’re going to get lost, even if you don’t think you are. As with Hansel and Gretel, you’re likely to be drawn to the bright colors and the simple answers that come from taking the easy route out.
5. ” More on that in chapter 2. ” I f you’re anything like us, you have contempt for authority that is matched only by your zeal for life. You take orders from no one, and sure as heck don’t take anything on faith. We understand where you’re coming from, being loners and rebels ourselves. This is why we won’t answer your questions with “Because we said so” when explaining how the universe works. Instead, we try our darnedest to appeal to your everyday experience and your common sense, and use those to point you in the right direction.
Only waves can be added together to interfere. So here’s your handy guide: • Two bright fringes = particle behavior ( Jekyll). • Many bright fringes = wave behavior (Hyde). Can you change reality just by looking at it? Light is clearly a wave. Young’s double-slit experiment demonstrates it beyond a shadow of a doubt. Case closed, right? Not on your life. Newton was absolutely convinced that light had a particle nature, and he wasn’t the only one. In 1905 Albert Einstein showed that light is really made of photons.
A User's Guide to the Universe: Surviving the Perils of Black Holes, Time Paradoxes, and Quantum Uncertainty by Dave Goldberg, Jeff Blomquist